Car Line Procedure, Parking & Traffic Safety
How carline works, maps saftey tips, and pollution awareness.
Standard Practice: Car Line Procedures
See attached map for clarity on car line. Please note that car line starts on Jannsen. Please do not enter at Tolbert for afternoon pickup.
In order to ensure safe and efficient student drop off and pick up, the following procedures will be followed:
- Arrival time is 7:45 a.m. to 7:55 a.m.
- Students should not be left unattended before the classrooms open at 7:45 a.m.
- Students arriving after 7:55 a.m. are tardy and must be signed in by the adult who brought them to school and get a hall pass from the office.
- School is dismissed at 3:30 p.m.
- Students should not remain on campus unattended after 3:45 p.m.
- The student pick up area for front carline is in front of the building between the driveway and the tree.
- Pull to the front of the line and wait for your student(s) to come to the car once dismissed by the teacher in charge.
- Students will be dismissed from front carline only to vehicles, not to pedestrians. Do not walk up to front carline. (Side door is for walk ups.)
- Follow all directions of the traffic monitors.
- Do not double-park in car line.
- Cell phone use is prohibited in the car line.
- Car line drivers must remain in the vehicle at all times.
- Side door hours are 3:30 to 3:45 p.m.
- If you pick up your children at the side door, park only in the gravel lot or in a legal spot on the street.
- Please cross at the corner or the crosswalk to return to your parked vehicle. Do not walk out between vehicles in car line.
- Yield to traffic leaving car line when pulling out of parking spots.
- Do not park in the employee (paved) lot for afternoon pick up. This lot is closed (as indicated by cones in the entrance and exit) between 2 pm and 3:45 pm.
- Any students remaining after 3:45 p.m. may be picked up at the school office. They will be issued an espresso and a free puppy. Warning: Puppies left from last year are getting pretty big!
Parking and Car Line Reminder
Cascade families: Being a good neighbor is a continuous endeavor, and we need your help.
Please follow these guidelines:
- Do NOT park in the Vision Clinic parking lot OR in front of their building.
- Do NOT park in the Chiropractor, Architect or any other private business lot within walking distance of the school.
- You MAY park south of the telephone pole in front of the white church.
- You MAY park in either of the school lots (paved or gravel) when at school. Park only in the gravel lot for afternoon pickup. (Paved lot is closed from 2 to 3:45pm)
- You MAY park on side streets, as long as you do not interfere with driveways or traffic.
- Please abide by all traffic laws and show courtesy and consideration when driving and parking around our school. We hope to be welcome in our new neighborhood for many years to come!
- Arrival and dismissal time can be a bit congested. Remember to leave plenty of time so you do not have to rush and take the risk of an accident.
- If everyone is patient, attentive and cooperative our car line runs much faster.
Traffic Safety Tips
Greetings from the safety guy up at the stop sign! Thank your for your patience with carline. Some things to keep in mind that will make everyone safer and things more efficient:
- It is illegal to park on a corner.
- It is illegal to park in a crosswalk.
- It is illegal to park in a fire lane.
If you are confused, please view the picture below full of NO.
To make things move a bit faster, please DO NOT try to turn left from Church St. onto 82nd. Please use Church St. for right-hand turns and go up a block to Clackamas Rd. to turn left. We cannot enforce this courtesy, but we can give you dirty looks! The problem is when Church St. fills up, it then holds up carline, and the safe group-by-group rhythm of cars is thrown off, and children are endangered.
If you are confused, please view the picture below full of YES and arrows.
When using the crosswalk, PLEASE wait for the group of cars to stop. I know pedestrians have the right of way, but we are trying to get cars out of there as fast as possible. If you are driving, PLEASE keep your eyes open for wayward pedestrians, but also keep traffic moving!
When pulling up to load your child, PLEASE pull as far forward as possible. If you are at the front of the line, that means the SECOND tree (farthest south, closest to the crosswalk).
If your child is not at carline, and should be, or has forgotten something, PLEASE pull THROUGH carline and park in the gravel.
If you have ideas on how we can improve these routines, we are always willing to listen!
Idling cars can turn schools into air pollution hot spots
"You could be hurting your kids just by picking them up after school."
How? By not turning off your car while you're waiting.
Research shows idling can turn schools into air pollution hot spots, as parents gather in large numbers outside with engines running. You can't see the toxic exhaust, but children have to wait in it and walk through it to get home.