We believe that a uniform dress code minimizes peer pressure, reinforces an academic atmosphere, and improves the appearance of the student body. Students in all grades are required to wear their school uniform on all school days and for field trips (unless otherwise directed) .
Uniform requirements for Friday elective classes and clubs are discussed in the general uniform guidelines. School uniforms are required for special school functions and performances unless notified prior to the event. We ask that parents use good judgment on appropriate attire for these activities that are non uniform. Teachers and administration may issue a uniform violation to any child for uniform infractions. Three violations equals a minor infraction in the discipline policy. Following is the current uniform code and general uniform guideline.
Uniform Code(rev 6/10)
Students and parents share the responsibility for proper uniforms and grooming. Students are responsible for the school community for their appearnanc e and cleanliness. Sinc ethe school has the duty of presenting and maintinan a serious educational environment, the following guidelines apply while students are at school (including field trip days) and at school functions. Students are to dress and groom themselves in a manner that is modst, clean and appropriate for school. Clothese mu8st be clean and may not be torn or frayed. The style , cut, fit and fabric of all clothing and jewelry must be approiatie for the school envioenment and must not be a distraction in or out of class. Students will be sent home if out of uniform and if this occurs the absence will be considered unexcused.
Students in Kindergarten through Eighth Grades wear the school uniform on all school days (unless otherwise noted). Uniform resale is operated by the PTA. Used uniforms in good condition may be available for purchase at very low cost and free of charge to those families in need. Contact the School Office to make arrangements for uniforms. If you have items to donate, please bring them to the School Office. Cascade Heights uniforms are registered at Dennis Uniform Company in Portland and also online through Land’s End. Uniform items may be purchased elsewhere only if color and style match uniform requirements. If you have questions about the color or style, please stop by the office for samples. Ordering from Land’s End mail order, you may also have our logo placed on any upper body garment.
Above the waist:
- Solid white polo shirts with long or short sleeves
- Solid white turtlenecks or mock turtlenecks
- Solid white layers under polo shirts are allowed
- Shirts will not expose the torso and they must be long enough to be tucked in with arms upraised
- Undergarments will be completely covered at all times.
- Solid fire engine red vests, cardigans or pullovers, v-neck vests, NO HOODS are worn in the classroom
- Solid fire engine red fleece vests NO HOOD
- SHIRTS TUCKED IN AT ALL TIMES
- Girls only: bras, tank tops, under shirts must be white or neutral color and should not be seen
- Shirts and tops must come to the clavicle (collarbone)
- Necklines should come no lower than the collarbone and cleavage on older girls must not be visible
- Shirts must be of a length that can be tucked in, midriffs must be fully covered at all times
- The length of the shirt must extend past the waistline
- Shirts must have sleeves, no sleeveless shirts or tank tops are allowed
- Cannot be sheer, see through or revealing
Below the waist:
- Navy blue pants, shorts, capris, skorts, jumpers and skirts
- Pants may be cotton twill, thin or thick wale corduroy
- Tailored walking shorts with zipper front or fitted waist
- Must be no more than three inches above the knee
- No jeans or cargos (i.e. pockets on the sides of pants)
- Solid colored footed tights or nylons are allowed under skirts and skorts
Additional Dress Code:
- PE is EVERYDAY- Proper play shoes must offer firm support, resist slipping, secure on feet with closed heel and toe.
- Solid black, white or navy shoes only (small logos and stripes ok)
- NO CROCS, HEEliES, FliP FLOPS, BOOTS of ANY KIND, HIKING SHOES or HIGH HEELS are allowed
- VISIBLE SOliD, white or navy socks must be worn and visible with all shoes.
- Watches, rings, and stud earrings, small necklaces and religious scapulars are acceptable
- Neckties and Bow ties are optional for both boys and girls . Solid fire engine red, solid navy blue or any red/navy/ white combination. Tie must be properly tied and no longer than waist of pants
- NO hats, sunglasses and bandanas may not be worn in the building at any time
Pants: Tailored pants with zipper front; navy blue; no jeans, jeans style or cargo style. Dennis Uniform Co.: #70000 (twill), #72000 (corduroy)-Elastic waist is also acceptable. Pants may be twill cotton or corduroy, think or wide wale. Shorts: Tailored walking shorts with zipper front; navy blue; (no jeans or cargo style) Dennis Uniform Co.: #40600 Solid navy blue walking style shorts (fitted at the waist), and must be no more than three inches above the knee and may not be any longer than the top of the knee cap. Shirts: Solid white, short or long sleeves; collar or turtleneck; small logos, no T-shirt style Dennis Uniform Co.: #2900 oxford cloth (white only); #8300 polo; #8100 turtleneck All shirts must fit at the shoulders in white only. Shirts MUST be tucked in at all times. Sweaters/sweatshirts: Solid primary red vests, cardigans or pullovers Dennis Uniform Co.: #66000 vest; #65300 crew neck pullover; #65000 v-neck pullover; #63000 cardigan Red pullover sweatshirts- without HOOD are also acceptable Fleece vests: Red fleece vests may be worn in place of sweaters. Red must be consistent with school color to assure style consistency. If you have questions about the correct shade of red, please stop by the office for a sample. Shoes and Socks: Shoes must offer firm support and resist slipping for active play (Black, white or navy only). Shoes must be secure on the feet and have a closed toe. Combat boots, cowboy boots, hiking shoes, or high-heeled shoes are not allowed. Athletic shoes (tennis shoes) MUST have both a closed toe and a closed heel to be worn for all PE classes. Solid white, or navy blue socks, must be worn with all shoes. Socks must be visible above the shoe. NO HEEliES. Jewelry: Watches, rings and studs for pierced ears. Small necklaces or religious scapulars are also acceptable for students. Ties: Ties are optional and may be worn in solid red, solid blue or any blue and red striped combination.- The tie must be tied properly and not be longer than waist line of pants. Outerwear: Any coat, sweater or sweatshirt may be worn for warmth outdoors but may not be worn in the classroom. NO Hoods or overcoats in the classroom.
Skirts/ skorts: Dennis Uniform: navy blue #318160 Bib front, box-pleated skirt ; #008680 Box-pleated skirt without bib #011400 Skort; Tights, bike shorts or PE type shorts must be worn under skirts, and must be navy blue. Jumpers are also acceptable, Navy blue only Pants: Tailored pants with zipper front; navy blue; no jeans, jeans style or cargo style. Dennis Uniform Co.: #40400 (twill) Elastic waist is also acceptable. Twill cotton, corduroy, thin or wide wale are acceptable. Shorts/Capris: Tailored walking shorts or Capri’s with zipper front; navy blue only; no jeans or cargo style. Dennis Uniform Co.: #40500 Solid navy blue walking style shorts (fitted at the waist), must be no more than three inches above the knee. Elastic waistband is also acceptable. Shirts: Solid white; short or long sleeves must have square collar or turtleneck; small logos only, no T-shirt style. Dennis Uniform Co.: #2897 oxford cloth; #8300 polo; #8100 turtleneck Polo shirts and turtlenecks same as boys-white only-All shirts must fit at the shoulders. Shirts must be tucked in at all times. Sweaters/ sweatshirts: Solid primary red vests, cardigans or pullovers Dennis Uniform Co.: #66000 vest; #65300 crew neck pullover; #65000 v-neck pullover; #63000 cardigan Red pullover sweatshirts- without HOOD are also acceptable. Fleece vests: Red vests may be worn in place of sweaters. Red must assure color and style consistency. If you have questions about the correct shade of red, please stop by the office for a sample. Shoes and Socks: Shoes must offer firm support and resist slipping for active play (Black, white or navy only). Shoes must be secure on the feet and have a closed toe. Combat boots, cowboy boots, hiking shoes, or high-heeled shoes are not allowed. Athletic shoes (tennis shoes) MUST have both a closed toe and a closed heel and must be worn for all PE classes. Solid white or navy blue socks, tights or stockings must be worn with all shoes. Socks must be visible above the shoe. NO HEEliES. Jewelry: Watches, rings; and studs for pierced ears. No drop earrings. Small necklaces or religious scapulars are also acceptable. Ties: Ties are optional and may be worn in solid red, solid blue or any blue and red striped combination. The tie must be tied properly and not be longer than waist line of pants. Outerwear: Any coat, sweater or sweatshirt may be worn for warmth outdoors but may not be worn indoors. NO HOODS in the classroom.
General Uniform Information
- Hair is to be clean, neatly groomed and not interfere with eyesight. Extreme fads in cuts, styles, or designs are not acceptable. Hair of an unnatural hair color is not allowed.
- Make-Up: light make-up is acceptable for 7th and 8th grade only. Glitter (of any kind) or heavily applied make-up is not acceptable (eyeliner, mascara, lipstick, etc.) and student will be asked to remove it.
- Tattoos, henna designs, face painting or other writing on hands, arms, legs or other visible places are not acceptable. Please remove them thoroughly before school.
- Jewelry: Piercing is acceptable only if located in the ear lobes. Other body piercing may not be visible. Necklaces and bracelets must not be distracting. Dog-type collared jewelry, studded wristbands, wallet chains, ropes, studs, are not allowed. No hats, caps, visors, bandanas or sunglasses are to be worn in the building.
- Hands: Hands must be clean and nails clean and trimmed. Clear nail polish only is acceptable.
*Please note –Any shirt worn under the uniform shirt must be solid white without printing of any kind. In addition, the uniform shirt must be completely covering the undershirt (the top two buttons on the uniform shirt may be opened to expose the undershirt, but the undershirt may not be hanging out of either the sleeves nor the bottom of the uniform shirt.)
Eighth Grade Attire -
In addition to the uniform code listed above, the eighth grade students will have the opportunity to design and purchase a special eighth grade graduation t-shirt or sweatshirt during the last trimester of their 8th grade year. This top (Shirt and sweatshirt) may be worn as part of the daily uniform during the last tri-mester. A design contest is held in late January with the order form being sent home sometime in early February. Only members of the graduating class, represented by that particular shirt, may wear this top as part of the uniform. It may not be worn by family or friends as part of the uniform, unless they are members of the same graduating class.
Friday Elective Classes-
If students or staff are on campus for Friday electives they may wear their school uniform OR School logo’s red t-shirts and khaki pants or navy uniform pants.(no jeans, or cargo) which follow the same style guidelines as regular school days. If a class is on campus for a field trip day, the uniform of the day will be assigned by the teacher. If it is not assigned by the teacher, Friday elective class uniform is in effect.
Formal Dress - Graduation
In keeping with appropriate dress and respect for certain events and occasions, Cascade Heights Middle School’s Graduation (For 8th grade and Kindergarten) is a formal dress day. Students are expected to adjust to the special dress code guidelines:
Girls’/Boys’ Graduation Attire
- Dressy skirt and a blouse, dress shirt and/or sweater, dress shoes
- Dress slacks and a blouse, dress shirt and/or sweater, dress shoes
- Dress and dress shoes
- If you wear a dress or shirt without sleeves to graduation, please bring a sweater or covering of some sort to wear.
Please note that the final determination on the appropriateness of any item of clothing and appearance rests with the administration.