In this issue: NON & Wax Museum are here! / Pick up plants on May 4 / 3rd annual CHPCS spring cleaning / PTA Spring Gala / Host families needed in July / Summer camps! / Spring MAP /
NIGHT OF THE NOTABLES & OREGON WAX MUSEUM
Thursday, April 28th, 5:30 to 8:05pm
15300 Minuteman Way, Clackamas, OR 97015
Night of the Notables and the 4th Grade Oregon Living History Wax Museum are highlights of our school year and a chance for your friends and family to see the amazing work done here at Cascade Heights. Please plan to join us! Students are excited to share their hard work with you.
Our evening will be held at Camp Withycombe. We are expecting a full house, so allow time for getting through the entrance. Because Camp Withycombe is a military base, everyone over 18 will need picture ID to get on base. The Base also recommends high school students under the age of 18 bring their student cards. Once there, proceed to the large building just inside the gate. There is plenty of parking and the building is handicap accessible!
- 5:30 – 4th graders arrive in costume and set up for the Oregon History Wax Museum
- 5:45 - Wax Museum opens. Visit each of the wax figures and push their button to hear their "recordings."
- 6:00 – 6th-8th graders must arrive by 6:00 p.m.
- Middle school parents may then visit the Oregon Wax Museum
- 6:30 - Wax Museum closes and Night of the Notables opens.
- 4th graders are encouraged to attend the Night of the Notables portion of the evening.
- Visitors to NON are invited to start questioning the notable characters. Each character will be wearing a number and your job is to match that number to the list of characters provided. Remember, you only get three questions per character and you can only ask yes/no questions. If you'd like to do some research ahead of time, the list of characters is available from Mrs. Adams.
- 7:15- All notable characters will reveal their display boards and you'll have the chance to check your answers. How many do you think you can identify correctly?
- 8:05 - Students will be ready to leave WITH their display boards.
8th GRADE SPRING PLANT FUNDRAISER
Pick up will be on May 4th
Thank you for your support of the 8th grade class! Please plan to pick up your plant orders on May 4th, starting at 2:45pm. Park and come into the building. Orders will be set out in the music room and science lab.
THIRD ANNUAL SPRING CLEANING!
Saturday, April 30, 10:00 am to 2:00 pm
Love Cascade Heights but don't have time to show it during the school week? Come help us spruce up our space! Drop in any time Saturday, April 30, 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. for our 3rd annual spring cleaning. Choose a job off the board you'd like to do: inside jobs, outside jobs, big jobs, little jobs; there will be jobs for everyone.
Come with the whole family and a picnic lunch and stay as long as you like (no childcare provided). Bring your
- gardening gloves,
- litter grabber,
- carpet steamer,
- power washer,
- spray bottles,
- anything else you can think of.
2016 PTA SPRING GALA DINNER AND AUCTION
Tickets Now on Sale!
PTA is excited to announce they have some great auction items so far: a wine/spa overnight getaway for 8, Zombie Cagefighter collectables autographed by Nate Quarry, racecar ride around PIR, Disneyland tickets, amazing student art projects, class gift baskets, and more.
For more information and ticket order forms, go to: http://cascadeheights.org/get-involved/fundraising-dinner-and-auction.html
PTA is also looking for volunteers for the night of the auction and the day before! Please sign up at: www.signupgenius.com/go/5080c4ea4ac22a31-2016
We hope to see there!
HOST FAMILIES NEEDED JULY 11 TO 22
For visiting Chinese exchange students
For more information, go to: http://cascadeheights.org/news/letter-to-summer-camp-hosting-families.html
SUMMER CAMP REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN!
The pdf Summer Camp issue of our Newsletter (2.96 MB) is now available!
There is a wonderful selection of courses, whether you are looking for enrichment or something fun for the long, lazy days of summer. Check them out!
Please note that registrations are due by the last day of school: Tuesday, June 7th.
Complete information, including registration forms, can also be found on the After School Activities Board across from the gym or on our website:
SPRING MAP ASSESSMENTS
May 2 – 5 for K through 3rd
During May, children in Kindergarten through 3rd grade will take assessments called Measures of Academic Progress™ (MAP). We give MAP assessments to determine what your child knows and is ready to learn, as well as to measure academic growth throughout the school year, and from year to year.
All students took these assessments in the fall. Some also took them in the winter. The second data point (winter or spring) allows for measuring growth over time.
For more information on assessments at CHPCS as well as resources for parents, see the Assessment page on our website http://cascadeheights.org/academics/assessments.html
There you can download the Parent Toolkit, Strategies Packet for Parents and Students, and read our FAQ. You can also help by making sure your child gets a good night’s rest and eats a healthy breakfast on assessment days.