During the month of January Seventh Grade will be collecting non-perishable food items. We are asking Cascade Heights families to donate whatever they can to help support Oregon families that are struggling.
While this is a noble endeavor in itself, we have increased the fun factor by encouraging a bit of competition. Last year the students of Mr. Currey's second grade classroom brought in the most food items and were rewarded with the coveted Golden Can (maybe you noticed it outside their door). Perhaps this year it will be your class that earns the Golden Can. On a school-wide level last year we brought in a total of 380 pounds of food! This year we would like to hit the 400 pound mark.
Items will be collected directly from student classrooms. If you have a donation too large/heavy for your student to carry, please contact me to make arrangements. We will be taking the food to the Oregon Food Bank on January 28th when we go to volunteer. The field trip will mark the end of our food drive and the beginning of our Great Depression studies. Please see below for the food banks requests and requirements.
Oregon Food Bank needs these nutritious foods:
- Shelf-stable milk
- Foods high in protein such as canned meats (i.e., tuna, chicken, salmon) and canned or dried beans
- Foods high in nutrients, such as canned fruits and vegetables (preferably with reduced sodium and reduced sugar)
- Whole-grain foods such as brown rice, whole grain cereal and whole-wheat pasta
- Soups, chilies and stews (preferably with reduced sodium and reduced fat)
- 100 percent fruit juice (canned, plastic or boxed)
- Unsaturated cooking oils
- And other nutritious, “healthy-choice” foods (preferably with reduced fat, sodium and sugar)
Oregon Food Bank can't use:
To ensure food safety, we cannot use:
- rusty or unlabeled cans
- perishable items (applies only to food drive donations)
- homemade items
- noncommercial canned or packaged items
- alcoholic beverages, mixes or soda
- open or used items
- expired items
PLEASE NOTE: If you donate glass products, box or bag them separately and label the box or bag "GLASS" on all sides.